A2 Strain-rate dependent composite behavior of fiber reinforcement in mineral-based matrices
in cooperation with
From left to right: SEM image – PVA initial fiber before and after finish extraction; High-dynamic pull-out; PVA initial fiber/concrete – Comparison quasi-static and high-dynamic pull-out
The aim of this project is the achievement of the fundamental understanding of the damaging mechanisms in fiber-matrix interphases during low and high-rate loading. In particular, the processes leading from fiber debonding to fiber failure are in the focus. From the perspective of material science, the role of the fiber material itself, the nature of the fiber surface and the structure of the mineral-based matrix in the boundary layer of impact-resistant concrete composites should be clarified.
Furthermore, concepts for a tailored interphase design to increase the impact resistance of fiber-reinforced concrete need to be developed.
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Servinis, L., Beggs, K. M., Scheffler, C., Wölfel, E., Randall, J. D., Gengenbach, T. R., Demir, b., Walsh, T. R., Doeven, E. H., Francis, P. S., Henderson, L. C.: Electrochemical surface modification of carbon fibres by grafting of amine, carboxylic and lipophilic amide groups. Carbon 118 (2017) 118: 393-403. – DOI: 10.1016/j.carbon.2017.03.064
- Eyckens, D. J., Servinis, L., Scheffler, C., Wölfel, E., Demir, B., Walsh, T. R., Henderson, L. C.: Synergistic interfacial effects of ionic liquids as sizing agents and surface modified carbon fibers. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 6(10) (2018): 4504-4514. – DOI: 10.1039/C7TA10516A
- Scheffler, C., Zhandarov, S., Wölfel, E., Mäder. E.: Interphases in Cementitious Matrix: Effect of Fibers, Sizings, and Loading Rates. In: Mechtcherine, V. et al. (Eds.): Proceedings of the 4th International RILEM Conference on Strain Hardening Cementitious Composites SHCC4, Dresden, Germany, RILEM S.A.R.L. Publications, 2017, pp. 275-283.
- Wölfel, E., Henderson, L. C., Scheffler, C.: Surfaces with grafted functional groups and sizings and its interaction with different matrices. Proceedings ICCM21 – 21th International Conference on Composite Materials (2017) Xi’an, China.
- Wölfel, E., Scheffler, C., Curosu, I., Mechtcherine, V.: Single Fibre Pull-Out Tests of Polypropylene and Glass Fibres in Cement-Based Matrices at High Loading Rates. Proceedings ECCM18 – 18th European Conference on Composite Materials (2018) Athens, Greece.
- Wölfel, E., Scheffler, C.: Interphases in polypropylene and glass fiber reinforced cementitious model composites under dynamic loading. In Pijaudier-Cabot et al. (eds.) 10th International Conference on Fracture Mechanics of Concrete and Concrete Structures FraMCoS-X, Bayonne, France, 23-26 June, 2019.